Other places of interest
Avenida Marítima balconies
Admired by many travellers who visited La Palma along the nineteenth century, these balconies are painted using dip pen and in oil painting as well as in watercolour by local artists and photographed by all sorts of amateur professionals and portraitists. These wooden balconies are the best ensemble of overhang balconies existing in the Canary Islands. Its peculiarity is given by the different types of balconies that can be found in such a small space, this is specially relevant in the portuguese inspired double balconies. This was a ventilation resource for houses in O’Daly and Perez de Brito streets with two or more stories. The back part of these houses, that faces the coast, enjoy the action of the trade winds and have covered toilets that drained directly to the sea.
Considered as the best Renaissance ensemble in the Canary Islands, Plaza de España has worked throughout the years both as a square for civil celebrations , as well as the main parish where the church centers all its festive activities: Descent of the Virgin, Invention of the Holy Cross, Corpus Christi, Holy Week, Christmas, … Originally opened in Real street, houses various interesting buildings : Monteverde House ( 1, Plaza España), built by Pablo Monteverde after 1618 and remodelled between 1922 and 1935 by architect Pelayo López Martín; Lorenzo House (2, Plaza de España), with a classic facade from the eighteenth century and remodelled in 1900; a public fountain, built in 1588<, El Salvador church and bell tower whose construction date from the beginning of the sixteenth century, (3, Plaza de España); Massieu House (4, Plaza de España) with facade from the eighteenth century and whose interior has been remodelled to be CajaCanarias headquartes (Caixa Foundation nowadays). Perera House (5, Plaza de España) was built as it is today by Miguel Pereyra Pérez in 1864 and, lastly, the Consistorial House whose construction was delayed from 1559 to 1587. A monument to father Manuel Díaz, a key figure in La Palma’s politics, education, culture and charity in the first half of the nineteenth century, presides Plaza España center.
Divided into several sections, O'Daly Street designates the interval of the Real Street of Santa Cruz de La Palma which, starting from the Plaza de España, ends at the Plazuela del Muelle. Parallel to the sea, the street has several roads and perpendicular alleys that connect with Alvarez de Abreu Street, parallel to the sea, and Virgen de la Luz (Lemos, Blas Simón and Apurón), parallel, in a Higher level, in the west. The street owes its name to the Irish merchant Dionisio O'Daly, who, along with other members of the emerging bourgeoisie of the capital, led to the fall of the local regime, a fact that made Santa Cruz de La Palma the first city in Spain state to hold municipal elections by suffrage in 1773..
Pérez de Brito Street
Pérez de Brito is a continuation of O'Daly Street to the north and communicates perpendicularly with several streets and squares: El Puente avenue, Vandale square and street, Borrero square, Garachico, Reyes, Baltasar Martin, Jorge Montero, Castillo, Santa Catalina and Méndez Cabezola. This stretch of the main artery of the city, which begins in Plaza de España and ends at its intersection with Faustino Méndez Cabezola Street. The street owes its name to Anselmo Pérez de Brito, a native of Villa de Garafía, where he was born in 1728, graduated in Laws by the University of Seville and lawyer of the side headed by Dionisio O'Daly in the litigation followed against the perpetual regidores of the island Government. During the case, Pérez de Brito was imprisoned, accused of sedition, but, shortly afterwards, he would obtain the revocation of his condemnatory sentence. His death in 1772 didn’t allow him to witness the renewal of the local government, that would eventually lead to the holding of the first biennial municipal elections in Spain in January 1773.
Borrero small square
This square takes its name since the first half of the sixteenth century and was surfaced in the 70’s resurfaced using pebble and decorated with a central stone fountain and various flowerpots stand around it. The west side is enclosed by three houses: the Sicilia house ((Borrero, 4-Álvarez de Abreu, 1), built by the Jerónimo Sicilia, who enjoyed the benefits of Nuestra Señora de la Luz de Garafía , in the last decade of the XVIII century: the Escobar house (Borrero, 2 y 3), built by Pedro de Escobar, governor of the Cabildo (island government), and his two sons Matías and Pedro de Escobar; and the Felipe house (Borrero, 1-Pérez de Brito, 32), constructed as it is nowadays by Antonio José Felipe, lieu tenant, in 1800. Its great architectural variety along with the neighbours care that look after all the plants hanging from every window and balcony make this small square one of the most charming in the city.
Vandale square occupies the slot of a missing house, property of the Massieu family and known as Brier house, since it was the residence of captain Jacques de Brier and his wife, Luisa Monteverde. After having suffered a fire and also being expropiated by the local government in 1948, received its current name, Vandale, last name of a flamenco origin family that settled in La Palma in the XVI century. It is worth mentioning its particular paving, made with ‘callaos’ (small round stones) from the coasts and ravines.Of its botanica species the fire tree (Delonix regia), excels by its characteristic bright green foliage and its orange-red flowers. The center of the square is presided by a monument to Lo Divino (1997), a bronze work of the local sculptor Fran Concepcion, which pays tribute to the music groups that, in Christmas voice that, even today, travel in the morning during the nine days before Christmas.
Cross of the Third square
Cross of the Third square was built in 1893, in commemoration of the fourth centenary of Santa Cruz de La Palma foundation. The tradition tells that after the military conquest, on May 3, 1493, Captain General Alonso Fernández de Lugo proceeded to nail a wooden cross on the edge of Las Nieves racine, where a Thanksgiving mass was being celebrated due to the success of the Spanish expedition. In 1783,a flooding in the ravine, destroyed this primitive site. But on the occasion of the 400th anniversary of the founding of the city, a pedestal of basaltic stone crowned with a large wooden cross was raised in this place, accompanied by a plaque; in 1993, on the occasion of the fifth centenary of the same ephemeris, a second plaque was installed. The cross is adorned with flowers every May 3, and a mass is celebrated around it in the early hours of the morning.
The Alameda kiosk is in the center this square that was conceived in the second third of the nineteenth century as a place of public entertainment and leisure. Indian laures- (Ficus microcarpa LF), with its characteristic size and thick cup, that provide generous shade-, elegant palm trees (Phoenix canariensis) and araucarias (Araucaria araucana), originally from both the Argentinean and Chilean Patagonia, live in this plaza. Articulated along two corridors, usually enlivened by musicians, has an octagonal plan, each of its vertex is decorated with pilasters and columns of arabesque capital; each side opens a guillotine window with draped wooden cloths and clour crystals that draw stars with eight points and arched roof of adosada, with balusters. On the second floor, covered with forge and wood arbor, is accessed by an external spiral staircase. At the northern end of the square, in front of the Barco de la Virgen, is the monument to the Dwarf, an emblematic symbol of the lustral festivals of the Bajada de la Virgen, made by Luis Morera, a local creator.
Dornajo street connects from north to south the high areas of the districts of San Telmo and San Sebastián, following its course to the old wall of the Convent of San Miguel de las Victorias or Santo Domingo orchard, now replaced by the wall outside the sports hall of the Secondary School "Alonso Pérez Díaz". Its name comes from the trough that still exists at this high end of San Sebastián street, a seasonal stretch of road that linked Santa Cruz de La Palma and the west side of the island. This old tank or dornajo served as a water tank and trough for livestock, through which goods were exchanged between the east and west of the island, while serving as a resting area for carriers and walkers. Its privileged location in the high and the domestic architecture that surrounds it, turn this place into one of the most charming places of the city.
Santa Catalina Castle
Santa Catalina Castle is the main building of the old defensive system in Santa Cruz de La Palma. Originally formed by several ramparts, walls and access to the city by both its North and South roads, was named Royal Castle of Santa Catalina due to its proximity to the old chapel of Santa Catalina de Alejandría. Its curvilinear facade in Castillete street has the Catholic Monarchs coat of arms on it. The current construction was erected after the disappearance of the first castle, located closer to Las Nieves ravine. Sergeant Major Juan Francisco Medina and captain Miguel Tiburcio Rossell de Lugo built this four-sided castle, whose construction started in 1683 and ended in 1692. With diamond ends in its four angles, its design is same as the one in San Cristoóbal Castle in Santa Cruz de Tenerife. This is a worth-visiting building, from its esplanade a magnificent view over the city beach can be enjoyed. Occasionally, the castle houses small markets and trade fairs with interesting offers. Likewise, in the main house of the Castle are exposed models of the city’s old fortifications, as well as a large scale reproduction of ‘Palmaria’ made in the eighteenth century that reflects the whole defensive system along the coast.
Calle Castillete, n. 10.
Horario: Lunes a viernes de 9:00 h a 14:00 h, sábados de 10:00 h a 14:00 h. Los días de crucero, también de 16:00 h a 18:00 h
Local market of supplies. La Recova
La Recova is one of Santa Cruz de La Palma most pure traditions, for over a century this market has given life to the city. It is undoubtedly one of the most characteristic places for commercial activity in the capital and a must-visit for everyone who wants to approach La Palma’s varied gastronomy. La Recova is set in a beautiful and singular building of neoclassical architecture, that used to hold the old Hospital de Dolores. The double facade is the main characteristic element along with its central skylight, that gives natural lighting to all the space. In 2005 a remodelling process improved considerably its facilities. Nowadays the market has thirteen ‘lonjas’ and twelve stalls where a great variety of fresh products can be found, such as fruits vegetables, meats, fishes, flowers and plants, wine, pastries, etc.
Avenida de El Puente nº16.
Teléfono de atención: 922 41 14 59 - 922 42 65 02
Horario: De lunes a viernes de 07:00 a 14:00 horas. Sábados de 07:00 a 15:00 horas.
La Palma Marina
Opened in the summer of 2010 during the festivities of the Virgin’s Descent, the facilities of the sport marina are an initiative created by the Temporary Union of Companies of Puerto Calero SA (Lanzarote) and the Real Nuevo Club Nautico of Santa Cruz de La Palma. Set in the north side of the capital harbour, that since the opening of the new Club Nautico in 1906 has a solid tradition in the promotion of marine sports and leisure. Marina La Palma is conceived as a fusion space between the services provided to the navigators and an attractive recreational offer: 180 moorings (8 m and 18 m), water and electricity supply on docks, Internet wifi zone, CCTV, seafaring service 24 hours, recycling point, gas station, boat dock, forklift and pressure machine to clean the hulls of ships. The recreation area is distributed in an open shopping center, overlooking the historic center of Santa Cruz de La Palma, which is about 50 meters away, and the bay; restaurants, bars and cafes, clothing and food shops complete a market that combines a varied program of activities, among which stand out the concerts at sunset and the nautical competitions.
Puerto de Santa Cruz de La Palma (28º 40.67 N | 17º 46.07 W)
Las Nieves square
Las Nieves square has witnessed the main acts of the parish program of the Sanctuary and two great Marian dates: the feast of August 5th, with the arrival of pilgrims from every part of the island, concerts and procession of the image around the temple, congregations on the occasion of the descent of the throne and transfer and return of the Virgin during the Lower and Holy Processions of Holy Week, Christmas, New Year and Kings. The square, paved with pebbles , has a stonework fountain, a pile or circular tank, with a pillar for the spout. The silence that oozes - interrupted by the music of the water of the fountain and by the intermittent arrival of devotees and tourists -, the shade that ‘jacarandas’, ‘magnolios’ and ‘araucarias’ provide, the surrounding landscape of the pine forest and the architecture (the rectory , the rosemary house , Parrilla Las Nieves restaurant and the sanctuary) make this square one of the most charming places on the whole island of La Palma.